Sunday, May 21, 2006

BULL'S EYE!!

I have this queer habit.. I tend to search in my mind’s music library for a song fitting the present scenario.. So this was no different.. Here I was ,clutching this sleek little pistol in my hand , looking at this slumped figure in front of me, like suddenly someone’s going to knock some life into it , or like as though a poisoned dart had put it in some kind of slumber .. but it wasn’t a poisoned dart , it was a bullet , or bullets , I couldn’t remember , that I had fired .. and then Steven Tyler sang .. “ jenny’s got a gun … jenny’s got a gun .. run away run awaaaay from the pain “ soulfully , in my head ..
I shook my head as though I was driving away a persistent fly … what had just happened??? I looked around , and everything flashed past my eyes .. an armchair, toppled over ….. Yes , I had thrown it in a fit of rage ; an open drawer and evidence of some thorough rummaging .. I had opened it , searched for …. And then I felt the cold, shiny , metal in my hands … the body sleeping peacefully .. yes , fast asleep .
The dead body..
I shot her down ..
Two shots, so effortlessly carried out yet so deafening , piercing through the ugly silence that filled the room , permanently fixing that expression that had marred her face , only a few minutes back, like a photograph ..
Fear had gripped us both …
Then they came , those ugly, rough hands that grabbed me , that pulled me away from her , I scanned the sea of faces , cold and expressionless , looking for mercy , for sympathy … but all they returned were icy stares .. lights flashed .. Were these people the police ? yes , it was a police car.. “ I shot the sheriff …” another song from my music library … it was night , there was rain … where were daddy , and sis?? And mum??
purple haze , up in my brain , lately things don’t seem the same
i shot her down .. that’s why she wasn’t around .. oh, those fights .. how did it turn out to be so bad this time …??
I saw them , daddy and sis , arms crossed over their chests .. they looked away … help me , I screamed , but their gaze was blank. the patrol car’s lights, dancing off their faces …
D .. I .. S .. C .. O
they shoved me into a car , those men with ugly, rough hands … they shook their heads … “aye , this wretched child , shot her own mother down “
what had I done????
I just curled up in the car’s backseat, pairs and pairs of beady eyes peering into the window like I was the last of some endangered species … I closed my eyes to the scene I was witness to .. but they didn’t let me sleep , wake up , wake up !! they screamed .. watch the news … huh??? News??? ….
I eased my eyes open , it was all bright around me ..
BREAKING NEWS – minister shot dead by own brother …
“ would u just look at that ??” , mum exclaimed , shaking her head … “ and you , young lady !! what’s the meaning of u just curling up and going off to sleep ?” I looked around , it was just like how it had been five minutes back in my head .. the slumped mass.. clothes in a heap , of course !! the toppled chair .. I was shooting hoops !! the open messy drawer .. I was cleaning it up .. the radio crackling the last bit of the old hit “ D .. I .. S .. C .. O “ …
it all fitted in …!!!
And all it took was two shots on my dartboard … bull’s eye !!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Janie's Got A Gun' was the first rock song that I ever heard..back in '96 it was.. changed it all for me ever since.. so unknowingly yet so drastically!!..
and you need more sleep!!!

9:01 PM  
Blogger miss wabbit said...

lol .. think i need to put a disclaimer at the end of theis - this is a work of pure fiction .. and agree abt the janie's got a gun part .. think i spelt it wrong .. ah , chuck it ..

9:26 PM  
Blogger Constant Buzzing said...

hey i loved this blog of urs....madam looks like ur the next DAN BROWN in the making!!!!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home